Posts Tagged sql
After investigations, it was discovered that the vCenter service stopped for no reasonable reason. Revising the VC server’s System Event Log, the next error was logged:
The VMware VirtualCenter Server service terminated with service-specific error 2 (0x2).
Cause: You are trying to start the VC service before SQL Service starts. The VC Service should automatically try to restart on its own after 5 minutes after starting the SQL Service.
Resolution: To avoid this and to ensure when trying to start the VC service that the SQL service will start automatically, follow these steps to configure services’ dependencies:
- Obtain the service name for your SQL Service – in Registry Editor, browse to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services and look for entries starting with MSSQL. In all likelyhood, yours will be called either MSSQL or MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS (ignore MSSQLServerADHelper).
- Now browse to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpxd
- Open the REG_MULTI_SZ value called DependOnService
- Add a line called MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS (or whatever value you determined above)
- Ensure that the last line in the value is blank